Thursday 16 May 2013

[Recipe] Devil's Food Cupcake


Hiya! Le Sister here. I was felling for something light the other day, so I decided to make these Devil's Food cuppies, since they are said to be in lighter texture. Mind you, my mixer still isn't working, I was worried sick it wasn't gonna be good. Since it works out well, more cuppies to come!


I had the ingredients prep in the morning, then I had to rush out, so I just left the egg and coffee to chill to room temperature, and only got back to them at night. 

Makes 9
Ingredients:
- 34gr cocoa powder
- 98gr cake flour*
- 1/4tsp salt
-1/2tsp baking soda
- a pinch of baking powder
- 57gr butter, at room temperature
-  120gr granulate sugar
- 1 large egg
- 32ml strong coffee**
- 60ml milk

Steps:
1. Sift together the dry ingredients; cocoa powder, cake flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda
2. Beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. I just whisked them together for a while until they're well combined.
3. Beat in the egg to the butter mixture.
4. Mix together the milk and coffee.
5. Stir in 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, when it's well mixed, add in the coffee and milk. Stir in the rest of the dry ingredients until it's well combined. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.
6. Line cupcake tins with cups, and fill them in halfway. 
7. Oven at 175'C for 23-25 minutes. It's is ready when you poke a toothpick and it comes out clean.

I dusted the top lightly with icing sugar using a sieve. You could use ganache, buttercream or anything really. Without a mixer, not much choices left for me is there?

*I bought my cake flour in Singapore, I'm not sure where you can find it in Jakarta. There are substitutes for cake flour, but I'm not sure how reliable they are since I've never tried it before.
**The recipe calls for strong coffee, but I just used an instant mix. You can taste a hint of coffee, but since Le Family and Cousins are avid coffee lover, next time I'll try to make another batch with an espresso from a nearby cafe.


 They came out better than what I expected, tried them straight out of the oven, literally, and they were light, fluffy, airy and the flavours were easy on the taste bud. Tried another one the next morning, and they were moist, denser and chocolate-ier. So I suggest eating them when it's still warm, or warm them up for a while; I very much prefer the light, warm version of it.

If you decide to try this recipe out, let us know how it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment